When Windows startup fails due to uncertain reasons, Widows basically troubleshoots to detect the problem and fix it. But, when Windows fails to do so or needs external help, you get BSOD, in case due to “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart“. The Blue screen of death is a way Windows protects itself from further damage.
Fortunately, We do get error codes which makes these issues more approachable as long as you know the meaning of more than different 500 codes. Well, today we will solve another BSOD error with error code- “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart”
If you get a BSOD with the above-given error code, then Welcome to another post. In this article, I will tell you 5- different ways to fix this error and how to avoid it.
How to Fix “Your Pc Ran Into A Problem And Needs To Restart” Error
The error code -“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” is a common BSOD error which covers a wide array of issues. The biggest issue with this error is that you can’t access your Windows. Every time you boot your PC and get this BSOD, your system will get stuck into a loop of restarts. This does prevent Windows from further damage but also makes it harder to solve the issue.
Well fortunately for us, Windows can be accessed in safe mode, so you can solve this error without reinstalling the Windows. But, what exactly causes this error? It is seen despite different error codes in case of BSOD, the reasons are found to be common in most of these cases. These reasons are-
- Incompatible Hardware
- Incompatible Drivers
- Infected/Corrupted Windows Files
- Outdated Windows/BIOS
- Faulty Hardware or external devices
Since the exact reason is always unknown, you will have to try each fix one by one. So sit tight, be patient and follow through. Also, having a good internet connection is highly recommended. Keep in mind that the following fixes are arranged in a way to increase efficiency.
1. External Devices
The very first thing you are supposed to do is disconnect your external devices. As, there is a good chance that, these peripheral might be interrupting with Windows startup, causing BSOD. After disconnecting all external devices, except keyboard and mouse, restart your computer check if it solves the issue.
In case it worked, then check the device compatibility, or search for other solutions. If it doesn’t work, leave them as they are don’t reconnect them and move to the next method.
2. Boot in Safe Mode
If you’re facing “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart”, it is given that you can’t access your Windows. To use any other method, logging in your Windows is really important, which can only be done in safe mode. The Windows safe mode, only allows essential programs to run, so you can make required changes without worrying about programs causing BSOD. But, you will need a bootable device to access Windows in safe mode.
So, How to start Windows in Safe Mode?
- Insert a bootable device, and boot/reboot your PC. Navigate through bios to access Boot menu. You can also do it directly by holding a pre-assigned key. For my PC it is the Del key.
- Now select the inserted Bootable device and go to the Windows Installation screen.
- On the installation screen, click on Repair your computer on the left bottom corner of the screen.
- Now navigate through Choose an Option-> Troubleshoot-> Advanced Settings -> Startup Settings.
- Under the Startup settings, press F4 to boot in safe mode.
3. Run Windows Startup Repair
Well, now you have access to your PC, so let’s run other fixes. The first one is Windows Startup Repair. The Startup Repair is a diagnostic tool that fixes any issues that prevent Windows from booting up. To do so,
- Open Start menu and type “Recovery Options“.
- Under Recovery Options, go to Advanced Startup and click on Restart Now.
- Let you PC restart, and you will get a Blue screen, with Choose an Option on it.
- Now navigate through Choose an Option-> Troubleshoot-> Advanced Settings -> Startup Repair.
- Wait till the process is complete and then reboot your PC to check if the problem persists.
4. Run System and Antivirus Scans
As I have mentioned before, the most common cause of BSOD is corrupted/infected Windows files or faulty Hardware. But all of this can be solved by running a few scans using pre-built tools. The following tools will scan for corrupted files and replace/fix them, find faulty hardware and will search for infected files as well.
a. “chkdsk /f “
- Start by opening Command Prompt as an admin. Press Windows+X and go to Command Prompt(admin).
- Now type in “chkdsk /f” and press Enter.
- Keep in mind that it won’t work until there is no background app running. So Press Y and Enter. Reboot your PC to start the scan.
b. System File Checker
- Again, open Command Prompt as admin like above.
- Now type in “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
- Wait till the scan is complete and move to the next one.
- Open Command Prompt as admin.
- Now type the following-
- “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” then press Enter.
- “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scan-Health” then press Enter.
- “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” and press Enter again.
- Reboot your system to check if the problem persists.
d. Memory Diagnostic Tool
- Go to Control Panel and search Memory.
- Then click on Administrative tool to begin the diagnostic.
- This tool requires you to restart your PC. So, you can now either restart the computer and check the problem or schedule it for later.
- In case you get any error then your system has some RAM issues.
e. Run Scan for Viruses
- Open Start menu and type Windows Defender in the search bar.
- On the right side of select Full and click on “Scan now“.
The Windows Defender will at least take 3-4 hours to complete the scan. After the scan is complete, delete the infected files and restart your PC. Also, update your Windows defender in case it is not up to date.
4. Update Windows and Windows Drivers
In case you recently installed a new module or any software, then it might cause BSOD due to compatibility issues. This issue can be easily solved by updating Windows and Drivers.
To update your Windows,
- First, Open Start menu and type “Windows Update” in the search menu.
- Now, Go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates.
- Wait for the Windows to search for updates. Now click on Install to install updates.
Once, the Windows update is complete, its time to update your Drivers. To do so,
- In the Start menu search bar, type Device Manager.
- Under Device Manager, go to Display Adapters.
- Now right-click on your Display Adapters and click on Update Driver.
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
- Wait, till Windows find an update and download it automatically.
- After the installation restarts your PC and then check if the problem persists after.
5. Restore Windows
Well, if none of the above methods worked for you, then a– the damage is too much to repair or the reason is still unknown. In either case, the best way to save your data and recover your Windows is by restoring it. This will not only save your data but will also restore and damage that was made to an earlier restore point. The other alternative to this issues is reinstalling you Windows which is not what you want. So how to do it?
To restore your Windows,
- First, press Windows+ R to open Run. Now type in rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- Now in System Restore, click on Next to proceed.
- Here choose the latest restore point and click on Next.
- Finally, click on Finish to perform system restore. This should definitely solve the issue.
The Bottom Line
Microsoft’s Windows is one of the most efficient and versatile OS. And BSOD existed as long as I have known Windows. Back in those days, I didn’t know what to do in such scenarios, but today there are so many sources that BSOD are not a huge deal anymore. As for the current error code”Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” or any other code, the above-given method will work. In simple terms, the five methods mentioned above are a universal solution for 80% of BSOD errors.
So, in case you ever got another BSOD, you will already know what to do.
In the end, thanks for reading this article. I hope the information was helpful and the above method solves all of your issues.