DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN is a problem which refers to a non-existent domain. In other words, the DNS cannot find the IP address corresponding to the domain name. Hence, users get this error on Google Chrome and are not able to reach the website they are trying to access. Experts note that this issue might appear due to DNS misconfiguration or faulty Internet settings on your computer. DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error normally appears on the Google Chrome web browser.
However, this issue might concern Windows, Android OS users. If something is not good with the Internet or DNS settings, Chrome might display a grey tab with this information:-
This site can’t be reached
www.specific-domain.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Try running Windows Diagnostics.
This webpage is not available
However, in some cases, the source of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error window is the computer’s laptop’s or smartphone’s firewall. It might be blocking the website from loading. In this case, you will need to change your system’s DNS settings to connect Google Public DNS. This time, the error gives a different message:
The server at 0.docs.google.com can not be found because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website’s name to its Internet address. This error is most often raised by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be raised by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
The problem is not hard to get rid of. You can solve DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue on Windows, Mac and Android devices.
What Causes The Problem?
Some people may get confused whenever DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN appears on their screen. However, this is a common problem. As you can see in the error code, this is a DNS-related issue. Domain Name System – or DNS for short – is what allows you to visit websites. When someone types a URL inside the address bar in a browser, the DNS submits a request to its online database; searching for the IP addresses that the URL has. If the DNS does not find any matching outcome, Google Chrome splashes the related error message.
How to Fix DNS_probe_finished_nxdomain error?
Here are some methods that will help you in fixing DNS_probe_finished_nxdomain error.
1. Disabling VPN And Antivirus
VPN (Virtual Private Network) and antivirus offer amazing security solutions for people who spend a lot of time online. Sadly, their characters can many times refrain users from accessing some sites. Before changing internet connection settings on your system or laptop, you may give a to try turning off any active VPN or antivirus. Disabling your antivirus is easy – you only need to open its control panel and find the option. On the other hand, to disable VPN on windows please go through these steps:-
- Inside the Control Panel menu, find and double click on “Network Connections”. It will show you a list of connections that you have.
- Highlight the VPN that you desire to turn off. Depending on the Windows version, a contextual menu will appear either on the left side or the top of the window. Select “Change settings of this connection”.
- Click on the “Networking” tab on the top of the window and press uninstall. This is the end of the process, but you should reboot your system quickly to ensure that you successfully disabled the VPN.
2. Tweaking IP Address Through Command Prompt
This Method is a more in-depth version of clearing the DNS cache. The steps are also the same as the previous one. If you are using Windows open Command Prompt as administrator and enter the following commands:
ipconfig/release ipconfig/all ipconfig/flushdns ipconfig/renew netsh int ip set dns netsh winsock reset
You need to input these commands one at a time and make sure that you press enter after doing each of them. People use this process to renew their IP address and reset the Winsock program in their system. Resetting Winsock is useful because it is responsible for controlling requests from internet applications – and you may need to do this once in a while.
3. Change DNS Server
The problem can be caused by DNS itself, particularly if you’re using the ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) default DNS or the router’s DNS. A cheaper router may cause a DNS problem. To fix the problem, you can change your current DNS to Google’s public DNS (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52).
You might want to check what your current DNS is:
1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to invoke the Run command.
2. Type control panel and press Enter.
3. View by Small icons and click Network and Sharing Center.4. Click Ethernet.
5. Click the Details button.
6. See the IPv4 DNS Server.
How To Change Your Current DNS To Google’s Public DNS?
Follow steps below to change the current DNS to Google’s public DNS:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to invoke the Run command.
2) Type control panel and press Enter.
3) View by Small icons and click Network and Sharing Center.
3) Click Change adapter settings.
4) Right-click the network that you’re using and click Properties.
5) Highlight item Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
6) Under “Use the following DNS server addresses”, set Preferred DNS server as 184.108.40.206 and set Alternate DNS server as 220.127.116.11. Then click OK. See below image:
4. Check The URL You Have Entered
Now, this may sound ridiculous, but in many cases, the wrong URL is the cause of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. For example, if you enter a wrong number of www’s before the domain name, you might run into the issue, no matter if it is a WordPress website or not. For example, if you have entered ww.bbc.com instead of www.bbc.com, you will run into DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.
These were the methods to fix the error “DNS_probe_finished_nxdomain”. These methods are more than enough to fix this annoying error.
If you feel any difficulty in implementing thee steps let me know in the comment section we will surely help you.