You just started your PC and it doesn’t start and gives you the error with code 0xc0000001. There is no need to panic as this error can ve resolved with any loss of data. most of the window users can get to face this error after updating their windows. The main reason behind the occurrence of this error is memory damage and corrupted files system.
This error is one of those blue screen death errors which are mostly caused by problems related to hardware. These types of errors result in causing Windows to stop unexpectedly.
This error also raises if there are problems with the boot sector of Windows. So let us dive more into this error, why it occurs and how do we fix it.
Why Does This “0xc0000001” Error Occur?
Here are some reasons that are more likely to cause these errors:-
1. SAM file Is Damaged
SAM file contains the data credentials. If this file is damaged or found missing then this error is likely to occur as this file is necessary in the Windows booting process.
2. RAM Is Damaged
This error may also be raised due to the permanent damage to the system memory.
How To Fix 0xc0000001 Error On Windows PC
Here are some of the effective methods that will surely help you in fixing the “0xc0000001” error on Windows 10, 8, 7.
1. Copy The SAM File From The Repair Folder
In case you are able to login to your windows, then copy the exact same file from
C:\WINDOWS\repair to C:\WINDOWS\system32\config. In order to perform this, boot from a Windows CD, Run a command prompt and give the following instruction:-
copy C:\Windows\Repair\Sam C:\Windows\System32\ConfigIf you are asked to overwrite the existing file then reply YES.
By doing this your all login credentials will be deleted and it will take you back to the username which you entered at the time of windows installation.
2. Startup Repair In Windows Recovery Environment
This error can also be surpassed by performing a windows startup repair in the windows recovery environment.
Go through the following steps in order to perform windows startup repair.
5. Connect the USB disk to the target PC and boot the PC from the USB flash drive.
Note: Change the boot order in BIOS setup and put “Removable Devices” as the first selection.6. Press “Repair your computer” in the bottom-left corner after booting your PC from the USB disk.7. After you go to the Windows recovery environment, choose “Troubleshoot”> “Advanced options”> “Startup Repair”.
3. Check Hardware Devices
One other main cause that raises this error may be the corrupt external hardware devices connected to your system. In order to solve this problem totally shut down your PC and now remove all the externally connected hard drives. In case you are using a USB device to install Windows 10, ensure that your BIOS is set to boot your system from the USB.
4. Convert The Reader/Partition To GPT
There may be a need to delete the player manually and convert it to GPT, then do as follows:
1. Shut down your system and insert your Windows 10 installation DVD or USB stick.
2. Boot your system with the USB stick or DVD in UEFI mode.3. When you are in the Windows 10 configuration, hold Shift+F10. This will run the Command Prompt window.4. Run the CMD Diskpart tool and simply type diskpart.
5. Then enter List Drive again on CMD. Hit Enter. This will allow you to identify the drive on your system that you want to format again.
6. Select the drive and format it by typing the following at the command prompt:
7. Select the hard disk and press Enter
8. Cleaning and press Enter
9. Convert gpt and press Enter
10. Exit and press Enter
5. Check RAM
If you have recently added new RAM modules you need to check them properly. Many users reported that a new RAM module was the main cause of this boot error. Regulate the RAM modules to see if they resolve this issue.
6. Check The HDD
Harmed hard disk cables can also raise this problem. You can perform following steps to fix them.
- You can try another port for the SATA/IDE cables
- In case you have more than multiple HDD, leave only the HDD with Windows installed and try multiple SATA/IDE ports and cables
This “A disk read error occurred” error displays on your screen if your SATA/IDE cables are damaged and SATA/IDE ports of your system’s hard disks are harmed.
If your HDD cables and ports are FINE, then the problem can also be caused by the hard disk.
In order to verify if your hard disk is failing or it has already failed, use Easy recovery essentials automated repair tool.
- Download Easy recovery essentials.
- Burn the ISO Image. Follow the instructions on how to burn an iso image.
- Boot into Easy Recovery Essentials
- Choose Automated Repair
- Wait for the Automated Repair process to complete. You will be automatically reported if any issues are found with your hard disk or RAM memory:
So these were the methods to fix window activation errors. I hope this post helps you in fixing this error. If you face any problem in implementing these steps, please let me know in the comments section, I will surely help you.